Who we are
Origami Energy was founded in 2013 with a vision to make energy cheaper, greener and more secure. As the world strives to achieve increasingly stringent sustainable energy targets, smart and powerful technology is required to ensure our electricity systems are fit for the 21st century.
Origami Energy has developed intelligent, versatile and secure technology to optimally generate value for energy market actors in an increasingly complicated energy world. We provide our technology through strategic partnership agreements with some of the world’s leading energy companies.
What you'll do
We are now looking to add to our team in London an experienced and passionate Data Scientist who is keen to tackle real world and commercially-crucial challenges. You will collaborate very closely with the wider team of commercial analysts, tech platform developers, data engineers and commercial optimisation experts. You'll will gain deep insight to a variety of commercial and technology aspects. You will will learn from best practises in the development of technology and data driven solutions.
- Build effective data analytics and data visualization solutions to uncover business and operational insights
- Build effective machine learning models for a variety of predictive and forecasting purposes in the contexts of power generation, power consumption, power market price formation and physical performance of a large variety of power assets.
- Provide insight to customers’ power consumption profiles and optimization opportunities
- Regularly communicate findings from data science activities to the wider internal team, management and clients, as required.
- Constantly try to innovate around new data solutions and data monetization opportunities.
What we're looking for
- Highly quantitative degree from respected university E.g. Maths, Physics, Computer Science, Engineering, Operational Research
- Very strong understanding of data science fundamentals and the underlying math of common algorithms and machine learning frameworks
- Solid coding skills in Python – should be capable of producing efficient, well-documented and maintainable data science modules
- Fluency in Python’s data wrangling, data analytics, data visualization and machine learning libraries
- Version control and collaborative development experience
- Proven experience in effectively communicating with stakeholders around data science solutions
- Proven experience in best practices for data visualization and data story-telling
- Proven experience in building and applying machine learning models
- Experience with data pipelines and end-to-end data science solutions deployment
- Strong understanding and experience in relational databases and SQL
- Some degree of understanding and experience of document databases
- Experience with big data packages such as Apache Spark
- Experience in the energy industry
Key Personal Attributes:
- Able to communicate complex ideas to experts and non-experts
- Listens to and learns from colleagues
- Highly curious about commercial context
- Very strong conceptual thinker
- Bias for experimentation and iteration
- Comfortable working with high levels of ambiguity and uncertainty
- Creative in problem-solving and innovation
- Interested in how their work fits within the wider data analytics ecosystem
- Works collaboratively with other members of the team and the wider business
What it's like to work here
We have an open and honest culture here at Origami, driven by our Values - find out more what our employees think. As well as personal support and development (and the opportunity to be at the forefront of revolutionising global energy markets), we offer very competitive basic salaries and benefits:
- Friendly and open plan offices - with flexible working hours and informal dress code
- 25 days holiday (you can buy or sell extra days)
- Equity in the company
- A wellbeing programme including life insurance, cash health plans, employee assistance programme, season ticket loans, discounts and cycle to work schemes
- Quarterly all-company meetings and recognition, plus regular team socials
How to apply
We want to make this as easy as possible for you, so we don't ask for your whole life history!
Origami Energy is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development. We have a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and if you’re invited to interview you’ll be requested to provide proof of your eligibility to work.