Operations Research Analyst
Who we are
Energy flexibility is becoming increasingly valuable to help balance electricity systems around the world, as increasing amounts of inflexible and intermittent renewable generation is added to the energy mix. Origami Energy has developed intelligent, versatile and secure technology to optimally generate value from this flexibility, in real-time. This technology enables flexibility providers to generate better financial returns from their assets and flexibility users to buy, sell and trade better.
What you'll do
We are currently looking to hire an Operations Research Analyst. You will become a member of a team of highly analytical, intellectually adventurous and commercially curious people. The team is responsible for developing data analytics solutions and optimisation algorithms that maximise the value Origami can create for and deliver to their customers via its products and services.
These market-leading algorithms are central to our technology platform. You will be able to effectively contribute to the design and the further development of the optimisation platform. This role offers a great opportunity for a graduate level candidate looking for an exciting role in a disruptive technology start-up.
- Review and enhance our existing optimisation algorithms.
- Perform code reviews and document their results.
- Design and prepare test cases for user acceptance testing.
- Take an active part in designing, prototyping and implementing complex optimisation systems and their components.
- Performing data analysis and visualisation.
What we're looking for
- A highly numerate university degree - ideally within Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Statistics, Operational Research or Electrical Engineering.
- Proficiency in Python programming language (you should be capable of using the object-oriented approach to design, prototype, implement and test code for systems of advanced complexity).
- Experience of using version control systems, such as git or svn.
- Experience of analysing data and producing data visualisations.
Desirable (any of the following skills and experiences would be advantageous):
- Familiarity with Unix-like systems.
- Shell scripting or other scripting or programming language.
- Experience in building APIs (e.g. Swagger or other technology).
- Experience of building either frontend or backend support (or both) based on the use of Flask/Django/Jinja2/Bootstrap/Angular/CSS/JS/AJAX.
- Experience of using project management and software development tools, such as Trac/Redmine/Jira/etc.
- Experience of working with databases (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Familiarity with Docker containers.
- Experience of using cloud computing.
What it's like to work here
We have an open and honest culture here at Origami, driven by our Values - find out more what our employees think. As well as personal support and development (and the opportunity to be at the forefront of revolutionising global energy markets), we offer very competitive basic salaries and benefits:
- Friendly and open plan offices - with flexible working hours and informal dress code
- 25 days holiday (you can buy or sell extra days)
- Equity in the company
- A wellbeing programme including life insurance, cash health plans, employee assistance programme, season ticket loans, discounts and cycle to work schemes
- Quarterly all-company meetings and recognition, plus regular team socials
How to apply
We want to make this as easy as possible for you, so we don't ask for your whole life history!
Origami Energy is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development. We have a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and if you’re invited to interview you’ll be requested to provide proof of your eligibility to work.